Wednesday, October 12, 2011

My upcoming workshop

I'm going to post a very long/ reflective post later today regarding the completion of my first marking period and first Read 180 workshop, but I just couldn't wait to say this:

I'm currently planning my second workshop (basically a unit in Read 180) titled "When Disaster Strikes." I'm am so excited for this workshop! All the discussion questions are things like: "can you think of a way that natural disasters could affect a person's property or even their lives?" This is so PERFECT for my students because hello, we live in Louisiana - hurricane capital of the U.S.!! And I know a lot of my students have had extremely personal experiences with hurricanes: some of my students have moved to Baton Rouge from New Orleans after Katrina, and some of them were very affected by Gustav in 08 (actually, I know one of my students in particular had to live in a hotel for months after the storm because it completely destroyed her house).

Although this first workshop on immigration didn't end up too bad, and students seemed moderately engaged in it, it was difficult because I teach at a 99% black school (I have actually seen two white girls since I started, but they like appeared all of a sudden out of nowhere), and my students live in neighborhoods that are entirely black as well. Immigration wasn't exactly relevant to them. I just have such excitement and anticipation for this upcoming workshop because the topic (or at least how it's presented in the program) is just so much cooler than the one on immigration!

No comments:

Post a Comment