Sunday, September 25, 2011

Oh weekend, where did you go?

I did not get hardly anything done that I wanted to this weekend regarding my big goal and vision. I did get my week almost all planned out though, which is a first of the year (now that I actually have Read 180 half up-and-running.) The weekend is just not nearly long enough to have time for me to unwind and forget about school, as well as revamp my entire classroom for the week.

The book I'm reading for my TFA book club (also the book I bought myself as a present when I was finally hired), Teach Like a Champion, gave me a few really good ideas that I can start implementing tomorrow. I'm going to go re-read the chapter on "positive framing" before bed because one of the big no-nos of this technique is asking students rhetorical questions like "I'm sorry Kenan, am I interrupting your conversation with my lesson or may I continue?" Apparently it makes a charade out of the student's behavior, and creates a negative attitude toward the student. Who knew? Well, there goes my main form of corrective action towards student talking. Sometimes I'm sure I'm way too sarcastic for my students' sensitive adolescent egos.

No comments:

Post a Comment