Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Looking Up

Open house last night really rejuvinated me for teaching this year. Not a lot of parents came, but the ones that did were great to talk to, and I now really feel a sense of accountability to make sure they children succeed this year. No one even said anything about my dripping AC unit, the growing puddle in front of my classroom (due to the cracking trashcans using to collect the dripping water) or the mildew smell of my room (due to said puddle)!

Today I became an active employee of EBR schools. I can't tell you how excited I was to be able to call and finally recieve my employee number (I think they guy at the help desk thought I was mentally unsound to be teaching children with how excited I was). I now actually have access to my email account, I can stop logging on to the general new teacher server, and I can start saving stuff on my desktop! I feel like a real employee now.

Also, almost all my students have been tested as well. I started pulling them from their last block class to test, which turned out to be a double win for me: I had a silent room which they could take the test, and I gained some major points with the students for getting them out of class.

I lost a lot of really awesome students though because they tested too low to stay in my class. I'm really hoping Langugage Exclimation does them well, and it's strange how much I think I'm going to miss them in my class. I really never thought I'd say that about some of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment