Sunday, July 31, 2011

Colbert and Wendy Kopp Video

I just watched this video this morning after reading about its existence in a book called Relentless Pursuit. This book chronicles the first year of 4 '05 L.A. Corps Members, and was given to me by my wonderful Political Science adviser as a gift upon receiving the senior award for my major. I'll talk more about the book later, along with a post about the recent happenings in my newly employed life.

But, you should watch this video. Not just because I love Colbert (of course he only ranks second to Jon Stewart in my top social and political media-satirists) and either Colbert couldn't find too much for which to comically criticize Kopp or he's just gotten more harsh over the years, but watch it because Wendy Kopp is awesome.


Note: This video is Stephen Colbert interviewing Teach for America founder, Wendy Kopp, in 2007. What I love about Kopp is that she's not your typical charismatic leader of a social revolution. She, in fact, is not a huge fan of public appearances and would much rather do all the behind the scenes work and let her organization get all the credit. No, she never taught in the classroom, but she literally was the sole individual who thought up the idea for TFA (as a college senior!). And I believe her unimposing character and total dedication to the mission absolves her of any criticism for never having taught in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment